Bensalem High School
What are micro-credentials?
Micro-credentials, also known as digital badges, at their most basic level are a new way to capture and communicate what an student knows and can demonstrate. These micro-credentials can represent different levels of work and engagement, including more granular, specific skills or achievements (American Institute for Research).
At Bensalem High School, students can earn a micro-credential by successfully completing a pathway focus (4 courses) within in a given academy. These courses are narrowly focused so that students can gain specific skills in her or his chosen field. A student can apply for the micro-credential once completed appropriate course work and this endorsement will be placed on a student’s transcript.
Why earn a micro-credential?
The Bensalem Township High School graduation requirements provide the opportunity for students to pursue multiple pathways while earning their diploma. The purpose of micro-credentials is to motivate students who want to gain real-life career experience while still in high-school. Micro-credentials provide a pathway to personalizing and recognizing student learning achievements. These micro-credentials indicate that students have completed specific course concentrations preparing them to be ready for college or careers.
- Advantages include:
- Opportunity to earn an endorsement in an area of interest
- Foundation to successfully complete an industry workforce credential or college degree
- Increase opportunities to gain competitive advantages in the the college application process
- Improved student engagement within course work
How do I earn a micro-credential?
Earning a micro-credential while enrolled at Bensalem High School is a simple process! Students first need to identify which academy strand they want to complete follow. All academies are outlined for students in the digital BHS Program of Studies website. Students may qualify for more than one micro-credential as some pathways have overlapping course requirements. Students are encouraged but not required to earn an micro-credential in order to receive a diploma. Each high school student should develop a plan with their school counselor that reflects the student’s aspirations for life after high school.
Eligibility & Criteria:
- Enrolled at Bensalem High School
- Complete necessary graduation requirements
- Complete 4 courses within the Academy Strand with a minimum grade of a ‘C’ in each course or as determined by IEP goals
- For students that receive an ‘A’ in all 4 courses within a strand the micro-credential will be noted “With Honors”
Students should consult with their school counselor for additional information.